Friday, May 30, 2008

Thursday Evening Luau
























This luau is held on the King Kamehameha Hotel grounds several evenings a week. Right now, the hotel happens to be closed as it is totally tented and being treated for termites, but the luaua nonetheless continues!


We were greeted with shell leis and shown to our table, one with a great view and very kid-friendly. We were told where we could get our mai tais, non-alcoholic punch, soda or beer, and then went to the 'garden area' where there were hula lessons, weaving coconut frond lessons, learning how to open a coconut and more. Then the big event which I love, the arrival of the ancient Hawaiian royalty. Historically, this place is actually where the royalty DID arrive, and that is another reason why I like this particular luau.


We were served a delicious buffet with over 20 local dishes. I've been to this laua several times, but this time I think I learned something I hadn't known when I saw some of the food supplies being delivered in a container labeled 'Big Island Grill' on the side. I know this place, too, a local restaurant, but I had no idea they were involved with this luau!


Last, but not least, the entertainment. The performers were excellent, and held the attention of both adults and children well. It was a lovely night and I'm glad to share it with you... the only sad part... this is the last night we'll be having dinner with Elliott and Laney. Yup, they are on their way home on Friday. We've had a GREAT time with them. They are both terrific people, and we've loved their company. We're going to miss them. Aloha to Laney and Elliott, and Mahalo!


1 comment:

Mary said...

The pictures and your comments definitely capture the essence of the wonderful luau. The food was very good, and the performances spectacular!

I Am

I am the wind in the sails of a catamaran
moving sleekly, silently and swiftly
across a lake on an August afternoon.

I am the joy of a brilliant summer sun
the intensity of relentless whitecaps
and the excitement of impending peril
as I race wildly from shore to shore.

I am exhilaration.
I am adventure.
I am freedom itself.