Thursday, May 29, 2008










No pictures of Laney and Elliott from yesterday, unfortunately... but they had a great day doing what I call the Circle Tour, that is, driving south from here to the volcano, then on to Hilo, then on from there, then passing through the north shores and ending up back here at Kona in the west, having driven entirely around the island. It's definitely a long day, but worth it, and when they get home, they'll have pictures to share!
Meanwhile, back at the ranch... er, the condo complex of Sea Village... The remaining seven of us piled into the Ford Expedition and headed out for our adventure. Heading north, we stopped first at a gas station to buy a few bottles of water because we were running low and didn't plan to stop at Costco until on the way back. Then stopped at Hertz at the airport to have them fix the right rear turn and brake light that was not working, absolutely INSISTING that we would not get out of the car while they did this -- took about three minutes -- then on to Waikoloa. Specifically, the Hilton Waikoloa, considered to be the Disneyland of the Big Island. Summer recalled this place as being one of the top highlights of her only trip to Hawaii before, on her honeymoon, and Brad recalls being to this place every time he's been here since it was here, about eight times. Mary and I had been to this hotel several times, but not in probably two or three years. It was definitely an exciting place for the kids to see, and in fact, all of us enjoyed it.
We said 'Aloha' to the lovely tropical birds in the lobby, then got on a boat to tour around the place, seeing lovely shore birds (I wish I knew what they are called, you'll see them in one of the pictures) and wonderful views of the sea pools, the ocean, and the hotel grounds, including beautiful statues everywhere.
Once off the boat, we went down a very long flight of magnificent stairs, then along the pathway and through the waterfall and natural sea ponds filled with sea turtles, a few pretty fish, and a few snorkelers who were staying at this hotel. Just a short distance past the waterfall we saw... THE DOLPHINS!!! Beautiful, playful, inspiring creatures, always in a good mood! For a mere $1300, six of us could have swum with the dolphins for 45 minutes, and the seventh person could have taken pictures! Foolishly, I am sure, we opted not. Instead we sat at the beachside grill, right next to the dolphins, and enjoyed a very nice lunch.
Then, it was back along the pathway, past the waterfall again, up those magnificent stairs and into the valet parked car. We got this valet service for free because I happen to have a handicap placard, so Brad's tip of $5 to the valet was quite a bargain compared to the usual $12 fee for public parking or $19 for regular valet service.
Next up, a little shopping at the new Queen's Shops, which might be just a little too new for some tourists right now, and then to the older much more established King's Shops where a bit more shopping was done. Then, on to Costco! In addition to water, rib eye steaks were purchased to be BBQ'd by Brad in the picnic area later!
After we got back to the condo, I gave Elliott a quick call on his cell phone to find out exactly where they were and judge whether or not they'd arrive back here in time for dinner. I perceived they would be, but also realized they might be later than I thought. I instructed them to head to the BBQ pit as soon as they got back! And they got here, a little after sunset and only a few moments after Brad had taken the steaks off the grill. We were delighted to see them! It had been a whole day without them, Victoria pointed out.
Oh, I guess I have not mentioned yet... on Tuesday night, our third Golf encounter, you just know who won again, don't you? Well, we were all too tired t have round four, so after eating our delicious Skinny Cow ice-cream sandwiches, we bid each other Mahalo and Aloha! A great day for all of us!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again, you all certainly know how to plan a great vacation! Swimming with the dolphins does sound a bit expensive--too bad as I am sure it would be the experience of a lifetime. I would have been so tempted but would have opted as you did to watch instead.

Aloha!

Ann said...

Those you love and the most beautiful natural wonders. Sounds like paradise to me.

I Am

I am the wind in the sails of a catamaran
moving sleekly, silently and swiftly
across a lake on an August afternoon.

I am the joy of a brilliant summer sun
the intensity of relentless whitecaps
and the excitement of impending peril
as I race wildly from shore to shore.

I am exhilaration.
I am adventure.
I am freedom itself.