Monday, May 26, 2008

A Sunday BBQ









More greetings from paradise! Early Sunday morning, before the sun was up, Mary headed out for her daily walk. Before I would have thought, Brad, Summer and Victoria, Madeline and Travis arrived at my door, and we sat around and chatted. Brad used my computer, Summer did some needlework on the lanai, Victoria and Madeline occasionally watched the DVD that Daddy had put on my big TV, and Travis checked everything out, lol. We went through the snorkeling gear we have around here to see what would fit the kids (not too much) and then the family left for Snorkel Bob's to rent what they needed.
Meanwhile, I wondered what was up with Laney and Elliott so I called Elliott's cell phone and discovered they had walked to town and were shopping. They also stopped at the Farmer's Market, as did Mary, and then returned home. They were close, but never ran into each other!
Funny, but Brad and family were in the same area as well, and they didn't come across anyone either. They enjoyed lunch at Lava Java then returned home, and on the way called me to see if I wanted to join Brad and the girls having snorkel lessons in the pool, or Summer and Travis who were going to Wal-Mart. Actually, I wanted to go to Safeway, right in the same vicinity, so without even stopping the motor, Mary and I jumped into the car with Summer and Travis while Brad and the girls exited to get themselves ready for the pool. Mary and I got our shopping done quickly, and the same with Summer who shopped for toys for Travis as he napped.
After we returned home, everyone except Laney and Elliott went to the pool. It was 85 degrees, still too cold for Mary, lol, but I stayed in for probably two hours, keeping an eye on the granddaughter that wasn't being taught by Brad and playing ball with Travis... that ball was one of his new toys! And every kid in the pool area wanted it, lol. Summer was down there too of course. I can't remember if she was doing her needlework or not but she was keeping an eye on everyone as well, and Mary too.
As everyone was leaving, Laney arrived, apologizing because she'd fallen asleep, lol. So, I joined her in the pool, and then Brad, who was just slightly behind his family in leaving (because he visited the restroom) was asked a question by Laney... so he pulled up a chair, and an hour later... Well, you get the picture. I have a son and a sister who both love to tell stories, lol. Hmmm. I guess that might be said of me, as well!
At 6 pm, we all met at the BBQ / picnic area to have dinner. Brad grilled the chicken as the rest of us snacked on grapes and Doritos. Oh, and drank a beer or soda as well. It was great! The kids could run around and we all chatted and watched the partial sunset. The temperature was perfect! Elliott fixed a wonderful salad with shrimp and other yummy stuff, Mary and I provided baked potatoes and garlic bread, and later, Laney brought down her Hagen Daas ice-cream which we enjoyed with cookies. Yum! Our group was basically the first to arrive at the BBQ area, and the last to leave, lol. Brad and family polished off the evening with another swim session, and Elliott, Laney and I... played Golf once again, this time with money... and Laney, smart, lucky woman that she is, took almost ALL the money from the rest of us! Grrrr! LOL. We'll be meeting again soon for another session to remedy that, you can count on it, lol.
But seriously, it was a great day overall! Aloha!

No comments:

I Am

I am the wind in the sails of a catamaran
moving sleekly, silently and swiftly
across a lake on an August afternoon.

I am the joy of a brilliant summer sun
the intensity of relentless whitecaps
and the excitement of impending peril
as I race wildly from shore to shore.

I am exhilaration.
I am adventure.
I am freedom itself.