Sunday, May 25, 2008

E Komo Mai! (Welcome!)




Brad, Summer, Victoria, Madeline and Travis have arrived! Their plane came in at 11:16 am, and we were able to pick them up in about 20 minutes, using two vehicles, the rented Ford Expedition and the Dodge Intrepid that we keep here for the condo. Although there are 8 seats in the Expedition, there is not a lot of trunk space, so Mary and I had driven to the airport in the Expedition and Laney and Elliott met us there in the Intrepid, then the family got all three child seats installed and I drove while Laney, Elliott and Mary followed us with the excess luggage.


Brad, Summer and family had had to get to SeaTac at a very early hour, which they had, but shortly after entering the departure terminal Summer discovered her driver's license was not with her! And she knew it had been there! So, that was more than a little nerve wracking, but short version of the story, she found it on the floor of their parked car and they were able to board their first plane, to San Francisco, on time, but minus the breakfast they thought they'd allowed enough time for. Changing planes in SFO was pretty much walking off one plane and onto the other.


We all went for lunch at the Big Island Grill. Travis was quite tired and a bit grumpy, but he is a two year old, afterall! He looks adorable with his new haircut, like a four year old, actually. The girls looked wonderful as well, beautifully attired in matching t-shirts and fancy shoes -- Madeline was even wearing a princess crown! After lunch, we drove to Sea Village and all helped the new arrivals carry their luggage to their two bedroom unit in the 4th building, top floor.


Brad, Summer and family unpacked and settled in a bit, then went to Wal-Mart and Safeway. Meanwhile, after resting in our own condos, Elliott, Laney and I met down at the pool. Mary had walked her usual 10 miles early in the morning, and then after lunch, walked to town again just because she felt like it and also to pick up a few things at the farmer's market. So, yesterday, she walked more than 14 miles without batting an eyelash. Didn't feel like swimming, though. The sun had gone behind clouds, and she prefers to swim in blazing sunshine!


Laney, Elliott and I were sitting in the hot tub, the only people in the entire pool area, when to our delight, the family arrived and instantly jumped into the pool! Well, okay, Summer dipped her foot in and said, "Ooooh, too cold!" and joined Laney at the hot tub, and Travis wasn't quite ready to play on the pool steps yet -- but he did later! But, Daddy, me, and the girls definitely spent time in the pool, which wasn't really cold in our opinion. I checked the thermometer, and it was 83 degrees. Not bad! Victoria and I even had a swimming race. I think we tied, lol.


After 5 pm we all returned to our condos and fixed ourselves something to eat -- I had figured that since Brad and family had been up so early and they'd eaten a big lunch, it would be more convenient for them to just have a sandwich and then get some rest, rather than going out. But, clearly Brad wouldn't have minded if I had cooked, lol.


It had been brilliant sunshine in the morning, but by afternoon it had clouded over and it didn't look like there would be much of a sunset, but suddenly, the sun popped out from under the clouds as it lowered to the horizon. I called Elliott and Laney and advised them to run out and see the sunset, and even the green flash if there was one. Well, there was a very brief green flash, but I couldn't capture it with my camera. I wonder if anyone ever has.


Elliott and Laney had watched this sunset from the pool area while we watched from our condo... then joined us after the sun had vanished. Laney taught us how to play Golf, the card version, and we had a great time. Mary and I really liked this card game. Laney said she'd never seen such close scores -- we are all very brilliant, apparently, lol. Close as they were, Laney won, though. Next time we play, we have to get out our quarters, though, she says. Hmmm.


Anyway, who knows what's up for today? I think it will be... snorkeling! We'll see! Aloha!

No comments:

I Am

I am the wind in the sails of a catamaran
moving sleekly, silently and swiftly
across a lake on an August afternoon.

I am the joy of a brilliant summer sun
the intensity of relentless whitecaps
and the excitement of impending peril
as I race wildly from shore to shore.

I am exhilaration.
I am adventure.
I am freedom itself.