After that we went to the post office briefly, then to Hilo Hattie's, a place that in the long ago past I would never have shopped at, lol. I had always thought their stuff was too loud and touristy. Years ago I recall sitting in the hot tub here with my friend Louise and another woman we didn't know who said she'd bought 3 outfits there for $20. She was not my kind of person, lol. The subject came up of where to eat and she said James By The Sea was the best place ever. Well, I'd been there, and I hated it. After this woman left, Louise suggested that maybe we should make a reservation at this restaurant... and I replied, "Well she loves Hilo Hattie's for heaven's sake!"
So, you can easily guess where I never went, lol. But after Mary came into my life and we came to Hawaii together, she was interested in going to Hilo Hattie's. Aaargh! So we went, and she found things she liked, and I noted that not EVERYTHING was loud and touristy, and that the quality was good. I mentioned that I have been shopping for cruise casual attire while here, so when Mary suggested we go to Hilo Hattie's, I accepted the idea. She came home with a calendar, and I came home with two tops and two pants! Thanks Mary, lol.
After leaving Hilo Hattie's we returned home for a lunch made with delicious local ingredients -- a salad and a turkey sandwich that included locally grown fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, avocados, carrots and more.
Mid-afternoon we went down to the pool which is right next to the ocean. Below is a view of it. The coolness of the pool is wonderful, and we always manage to run into interesting people to have a conversation with.
Mary started with a Mai Tai, and I had a diet coke. It was Happy Hour, so there were nice discounts on everything. We split a coconut shrimp pupu (appetizer) and had a Kahlua pork quesadilla for the main course. Yumm. And only about a third of the cost of our dinner the other night at the restaurant. Choices are more interesting as well.
During Happy Hour there is live music. Below is a shot of Sean Wilkenson who not only sings and plays but writes his own songs and lyrics. He is very unique, and his music was very soothing. He's not a youngster... I would guess him to be in his 60's at the very least.
It was almost time for sunset when we left. It only takes us about 5 minutes to get home, so we figured we'd have an even better view of the sunset on our own lanaii. But darn, up popped those clouds on the horizon, so no sunset at all! First time that has happened since we arrived. Ah well, we had a nice time anyway! Mahalo for reading!
4 comments:
It makes me smile now that you enjoy going to Hilo Hattie's. You always find nice clothes wherever you go. (I love the top you are wearing in these photos.) Me??? I find nothing. LOL.
Yes, beautiful top and just a c lassic beautiful Hawaii vacation - so glad you are getting it.
So fun to read your version of the trip as well Diane. In some ways it could be two different places -- not really but I like your individual views on things. Do you recall the woman named Hilo Hattie who used to be on TV during the 50s on some Hawaiian dancing show? I can still see her! Good you are finding cruise attire for you trip there. I don't have any idea how hot it will be in SE Asia at this time of year, but warm and humid are probably good guesses!
I love the photo of you laughing,Di. That makes me smile. Your blouse is beautiful;very tropical.I would love to check out Hilo Hattie's again. I think that is the one that you and Mary took me to? If so it was amazing. you could shop there all day.
Post a Comment