Friday, October 16, 2009

Have Arrived In Kona!

Mary and I flew in from Chicago the day after Hallie and Greg flew back to Seattle. We all have very tired arms, lol. Hallie was here to participate in the World Championship Ironman held every year in Kona since 1977. I believe it is the original Ironman, and definitely one that tens of thousands try hard to qualify for. Hallie qualified with her remarkable performance in Australia in April. Below is a recent picture of Hallie and Greg, taken in Seattle about a month before the Kona Ironman. Aren't they a lovely looking couple? Hallie's a phenomenal gal in so many ways, including her athletic abilities. Greg is an athlete too, and so supportive and encouraging of his wife. Hallie could not have made a better choice when she chose to marry him, 19 years and 1 month ago!


Below are Hallie and a good friend and training partner who is actually a professional athlete. Hallie is on the right. This picture was definitely what Hallie would describe as 'the calm before the storm!'


Boom! There she goes! The cannon fired at 7 in the morning Hawaiian time, or noon at my time in the Midwest. The ocean swim is 2.4 miles, then a 112 mile very difficult bike ride, and then...



...a full marathon which is a 26.2 mile run. Hallie finished almost exactly at the 12 hour mark. This was an excellent finish, although she found this race very difficult due to the high heat and humidity, strong winds, and difficult terrain. I am so proud of Hallie!

So, now we are here in Kona, right on the heels of Hallie and Greg. We are finding delicious organic foods and drinks left behind by them in the condo, which we are enjoying, lol. The tough part of the trip here is always the five hour time difference, but we adjust pretty quickly. Looking forward to wandering around at some of our favorite places today. Aloha!

5 comments:

Lynne said...

Wow, Diane! Congratulations to Hallie. I know how proud of her you are. Great photos. thanks for sharing.

nva said...

What a pity you were not there to see Hallie competing.

Victoria said...

What an intense and gratifyling lifestyle Hallie and Greg have chosen. It's great isn't it, to see our children well-partnered.

Mary said...

How proud you must be of Hallie! Bravo to Hallie for all she has accomplished. And bravo to you for being such a wonderful supporter!

Judy Roney said...

Thanks for the photos of your incredible daughter and son in law. Congratulations to her.

I Am

I am the wind in the sails of a catamaran
moving sleekly, silently and swiftly
across a lake on an August afternoon.

I am the joy of a brilliant summer sun
the intensity of relentless whitecaps
and the excitement of impending peril
as I race wildly from shore to shore.

I am exhilaration.
I am adventure.
I am freedom itself.