
Sunday morning we walked back to the Royal Kona Resort, just to take a walk. Although I've been using a treadmill and walking is no longer a problem for me since I've healed from my last knee surgery in January, this was still the first time my actual purpose in taking a walk was just to walk! There and back, on the route we took was 1-1/2 miles at a minimum, probably a bit more than that. My only problem was that it was darned hot and very humid! That's why I'm sitting on this wall, just a short distance from the Royal Kona.
Afer returning from our walk, we jumped right into the car and drove to the Big Island Cafe... only to discover it is not open on Sundays! No problem, we carried on a bit further for lunch at Quinn's Almost By The Sea, a favorite local restaurant that has been there forever. I'm not sure how long, but I recall it was there in the early 1980's and had been for some time before that. What did we order? Well, as intrigued as we were by the Kalua Pork Wrap, Quinn's Big Mountain Hamburger and Quinn's French Dip Sandwich, we had to order what we always order, the Ono fish and chips! Ono refers to two things in Hawaii -- one, it means delicious, and two, it refers to a local white fish! And yes, it was delicious! Ono Ono! And, oh no, it is not low fat or low cal, lol. But, oh no, we didn't eat all those fries.
After lunch we went shopping at Macy's. I was looking for casual wear for our Asian cruise, coming up at the end of November. I figured this was a good place to shop for hot weather items -- they wouldn't have this stuff at this time of year back in Wisconsin.
We returned home and went immediately to the swimming pool to cool off. I was in the water close to an hour and a half! It sure helps to cool off in the water on such a hot day!
Then I looked at my email, and received the following picture from one of my Nova Scotia cousins who was so kind to send me Aunt Bertha's obituary. Aunt Bertha was married to my mother's brother Sydney. Most of you who are reading this post already know that Aunt Bertha had passed away a little over a week ago. My mother has always thought the world of Aunt Bertha. Oh, and one thing I noticed in the obituary was that Aunt Bertha had something like 9 sisters and 3 brothers, and one of those sister's was named Hallie! Yes, spelled exactly the same as my daughter Hallie, and my mother-in-law Hallie who was also from Nova Scotia! Hmmm. I am wondering if my in-laws and Bertha's family were related!
The picture below is of Syd and Bertha. Syd passed away around 10 years ago -- I'm guessing because I do not have the family information with me on this trip, but it would be something like that. I'd never seen this particular picture, and I was sure amazed at how much Syd and my mother look alike, especially their smiles!


4 comments:
Wonderful update on your wonderful vacation. I'm so delighted you can take a walk just to take a walk now.
The water in the pool WAS wonderful and refreshing. The fish at Quinn's excellent...such a delicious fish fry one seldom finds. And I can really see the similarity in the smiles of your mother and Syd!
Great to read you update as well as Mary's. What a nice view from your table of the sunset. And that is such a good photo of Bertha and Syd. Keep cool!
What a beautiful place to walk, The Royal Kona Resort.
It's nice to hear that walking is no longer a problem for you since your last surgery. That gives me hope for my creaky knees.
would not like the hot and humid weather. That's why I'm here in the NC mountains in the summer and fall to get out of that hot weather. It's getting a bit cold here now so it is time to head back to Florida. :)
What a kind and sweet face your Aunt and Uncle have. I'm so sorry about the death of your Aunt Bertha.
Post a Comment