But, there's a new name for this particular Friday. They are calling it Furlough Friday, and this is the first of 17 FF's for the next year. These Furlough Fridays are a way for the state government to save money. Almost all government workers are obligated to take the day off with no pay, including school teachers! Isn't that awful? Hawaiian school children are already at the bottom of the list for learning achievement. How will this move help? Plus, what are all the working parents going to do about their kids being home? Obviously there is protest about this, and I can understand it.
Well, back to Aloha Thursday, yesterday.
Oh no, look at this picture! A fisherman with an Ono, delivering it to Huggo's. Actually, he had two.
Mid-morning we drove north about 30 miles to Waikaloa Beach. There are two very nice malls out there, the King's Shops and the Queen's Shops. We started at the King's. I'm standing in front of the back side of these shops where there is a large pond that is part of the Waikoloa Beach golf course, a place I have played quite often, but in the past. We had a delicious lunch at Merriman's Market Cafe -- a hamburger on a unique slab of bread, served with golden orange tomatoes, red onions and homemade ketchup and mayo. No fried because their fryer was down, but instead we had some kind of cole slaw made with cabbage, mangoes and I don't know what else, but it was very good.
After lunch we went round to all the King's shops, then crossed the street to the Queen's. That's where these koi are. I had good memories of being here a year and a half ago with my grandkids and their parents! Nothing to buy, though! Laney and Elliott, I'm pretty sure you didn't come to the Queen's shops -- I think we went here after you'd left. 
4 comments:
They are having furlough days here as well but i do not think it includes classroom teachers in K-12. Some of the colleges have put them in as well, but I am unsure how it affects class time for the students. I think it probably reduces the classes offered rather than the hours in individual classes. HCC Betty does furlough days I know with her state job.
And you two DO always seem to find good places to eat. The mud pie sounds like it would be my favorite place! Keep on with your travel reports!
I don't like the idea of furlough days for the kids. I can imagine the difficulty this causes parents. They have to somehow find supervision for their children, if they are working. I would hope the state could save money in another way. School is so important, and I hate to see the children lose out.
I didn't know Hawaii had low achieving schools - a surprise somehow. I really don't know much about that state. As a mom I would have loved four day school weeks - but then I only worked a four day work week and sometimes less when the girls were small. Teachers and others having an unpaid day off has to be hard.
It's nice to be able to go to a place like Hawaii and be part of them and do as the native Hawaiians do. To know the places they eat and get out of the touristy places when you want. It sounds heavenly.
I imagine furlough days will be great for parents who do not work. I can't imagine how it will work out otherwise. There wil be some hefty babysitter bills.
Post a Comment