Friday, August 8, 2008

From a Fan of Number 4

Brett's Time

Time to move on
say the powers
refusing to respond
to the phone calls
of their top athlete
their pride, their legend

Time to move on
say the skeptics
echoing the chant
of the powers
in sympathy for
the new and unproven

Time to move on
repeat the powers
wishing him gone
three years after their
draft of the new and young
to replace an aging quarterback

Time to move on
say the sour grapers
if we quit our jobs
we couldn't come back
even if we were
the top of the top

Time to move on
say the powers again
he made his choice
can't change his mind
though we pushed
for an early decision

Time to move on
repeat the impatient
picking up on the chant
tired of ups and downs
different stories daily
all the fuss in the news

Time to move on
say the powers
offering $20 million
to keep him from
playing the game
of his heart.

Time to move on
say the opinionless
we don't know
what to think but
we're tired, we're tired
we're tired

Time to move on
say the powers
who lock him
from the locker room
keep him away from
his longtime buddies

Time to move on
say the powers
who traded him
to a place where
he won't be encountered
unless it's a Superbowl

Time to move on?
ask the fans whether
for or against
shocked to see their
legend on TV wearing
New York Jets attire

Time to move on?
Said who? And why?
Is this what we wanted?
Time to move on?
Words that make
me want to throw up.

1 comment:

Victoria said...

Good poem. I hate the phrase "time to move on" too, and condolences regarding the loss of Brett Farvre to the Packers.

I Am

I am the wind in the sails of a catamaran
moving sleekly, silently and swiftly
across a lake on an August afternoon.

I am the joy of a brilliant summer sun
the intensity of relentless whitecaps
and the excitement of impending peril
as I race wildly from shore to shore.

I am exhilaration.
I am adventure.
I am freedom itself.