It was a GREAT day! This time, Mary and Vicki participated in the half-marathon at Oconomowac, a lovely town not too far away from us. We left at 5:30 a.m., and got there about 6:15 or so. The starting gun fired just shortly after 7:00 a.m. Mary and Vicki walked/ran the course and I drove it, stopping to take pictures of them from time to time. I love to do this... I feel like I really get to know the folks ahead of them, lol. And, when I'm not seeing them anymore, I realize Mary and Vicki must have left them in the dust!
Basically this event goes around a lovely lake, Lake La Belle, going through lakeside roads, golf courses, residential areas and even a bit of down town. Both Mary and Vicki thought it was a great event, very well planned, so many wonderful volunteers, and gorgeous scenery. I think this could turn out to be their 'favorite'!
Okay, so yesterday was Mary's birthday... and today was Vicki's! Although the picture above indicates they crossed the finish line seconds after the three hour mark, their official times were under three hours. The finish line clock was based on the gun, not their computer chips. And, Vicki got an unexpected surprise at the end -- a trophy for third place in her age group! Isn't that amazing? Mind you... there weren't very many IN her age group, but there were very few walkers in this event, most ran -- and to get an award when you walk in a running event is pretty exciting, I would say. Mary was in another age group, and came fourth, so she is very proud as well, and also amazed.
After the event, Kay joined us, and we all went to Senor Thomas' for brunch in Hartland. Yum. The food was a blend of Guatemalan and Mexican and was delicious!
So far, we're having a very enjoyable Labor Day weekend!
4 comments:
Thanks for sharing the happy photographs and your perspective on this triumphant race day.
Happy Birthday, Mary. Job well done on the race...not that I'm surprised, just very grateful after the healing you had to do to get there. Job well done, Photographer Diane too! Thanks for inviting us along as these events happened.
Fun to read about the half marathon from your perspective Diane. Mary and Vicki and lucky tp have someone who enjoys going along as a photographer! Especially nice action shorts. And what a lovely area.
Mary's birthday celebration looks fun. And thanks for the details about the Wii Fit. Great that you and she are about the same physical age--and congrats on the strength of your recovered Knee!
I greatly enjoyed your recounting of my half marathon! Thank you for this, and especially for being such a wonderful photographer for the event and a supporter of my half marathon efforts.
Post a Comment