It's been great, hasn't it? I'm going to miss the Olympics from now on, but I'll probably get more done and get back on my usual time schedule, instead of being awake half the night.
I just did a long post, by the way, hit a key I shouldn't have and all disappeared... then I found it in a draft form, tried to post it, and only the first couple of sentences appeared. I could not find the draft again.
When stuff like this happens, I figure I probably said something I shouldn't have, lol. Or, it was too long. So, I'll just redo the short stuff, and forget it!
I have won the Championship for my division at my Greenfield golf club with my scores for the first three weeks of August. No, I'm not in the Championship division, lol. I am pleased about my win, and am still hoping to play even better before the end of the season, which is mid September.
Mary's birthday is coming up on Friday, August 29th. A few boxes have been delivered by UPS, and Mary wants to know what's in them. "Nothing," I say. She hates to wait, lol.
Yesterday we had a very nice day with Mary's sister Lori, who drove the 100 miles down from Appleton to visit us. Mary's daughter Emily joined us, with her two children, Isaac and Mya, and we all went to California Pizza Kitchen for lunch. Nope, I didn't eat pizza, lol. Can you believe it? It is true, I promise. All the adults had a delicious salad, and only Isaac had pizza. Afterward, everyone but Mya and me walked over to see a sidewalk art exhibit and competition that was going on in the area. I don't like to stand for long periods, so I was happy to sit and wait with Mya until everyone returned, and then we walked over to Trader Joe's which we all love. Wish they had one on our side of town!
Everyone returned to our house, where we sat outside around the pool and visited. Isaac and Mary got in the pool, but the rest of us sat in the shade. It was a very nice visit.
I have decided to start walking, gradually more and more, and in hopes that my foot and knee issues will not be aggravated. I walked 5 minutes yesterday and 10 today... will do this every day and just keep adding to it. My goal is an hour. I am improving, although I don't think people witnessing me would necessarily agree with that -- but I'm the one that feels it, and I do think it is better. It just seems like, okay, I've done A, now what about B, C, and D, and which should I do first? I am hoping to get ALL this past me. I thought I would have by now, but then I only thought there was B, not C and D as well. Does this make any sense? Arrrgh!
I'm going to share a poem of mine today, which I don't even remember writing, but clearly, I did. I just came across it as I was looking through some of my poems. I (sort of) have a plan to come up with a book of my poems. Here 'tis! Have a good day, all.
Cooking Lessons
I try to think about how Mum
taught me to cook
but what comes to mind is
how she taught me to knit.
Like this.
Hands, fingers and yarn fly
and I sit blinking.
I don't get it.
Like this.
They fly again and still
I don't get it.
They fly many times and
I never get it
until I'm 21 year old
gone from home, alone with a
How To Knit book beside
me while I carefully follow
Step One, Step Two, Step Three
and onward
and I knit a twelve foot scarf
that no one will ever wear
and the yarn never flew
not even once
but dammit, I can knit now.
That was the kind of teacher she was.
She never explained, she demonstrated.
Either you got it, or you didn't
but you had your chance.
She never wanted help in the kitchen.
No cookie-baking togetherness for me,
and no clean-up either,
she was much too fast and too efficient
to put up with my clumsy ways.
But when I wanted to cook, I could.
She departed the kitchen with instructions
that when I was finished and she returned
there was to be not a smudge of flour
on the floor or dishes in the sink
or baking soda on the counter
or anything at all that needed doing.
She left me in peace with
an aging copy of The Art of Cooking
by Purity Flour, my only consultant.
So, it surprises me today
that I am like her in the kitchen.
Inventive. Resourceful. Not particularly in
need of a recipe book.
Does it surprise you to know I
commandeered the Purity Flour cookbook?
It rests on my bookshelf, somewhere, seldom used
but a fond remembrance of how my mother
taught me and dammit,
I can cook now.
2 comments:
I'm not at all surprised you comandeered the Purity Flour Cooboo, Diane, and liked reading your poem about your mother and her ways, and you and yours. Congratulations on the golf championship scores and praises to you on the walking and healing. It's so hard (at least for e) to be methodical about something like that. I'll miss the Olympics too. Sounds like you had a lovely day yesterday.
I like your knitting and cooking poem Diane--and you CAN indeed cook and knit! (How is that afghan by the way?)
I too enjoyed the Olympics, more than I thought I would. I especially enjoyed the opening and closing ceremonies in the Birds Nest. Made me extra aware of how much the world has changed in my lifetime.
With Trader Joe's and California Pizza Kitchen you are getting downright West Coast there. I think we have three TJs in our city, one within walking distance. Good for you on the golfing successes, the walking and choosing the salads! Moving forward on all counts.
Post a Comment