Monday, May 24, 2010

High School Reunion

Below are my 'School Pals' from high school. A few of these folks turned up at the reunion!





Phyllis, Diane and Sandy. We met early afternoon for lunch.




And Alex Nelson, a wonderful and very likeable athlete who first dated Denise, and then later my friend Sandy Mayo. Don't they look incredibly the same?




And since Lynne is on the 'School Pals' list (in the center photo) I will add pix of Lynne and myself as well. I think most of you know that Denise was my childhood best friend and unfortunately died at 28 after the 10 year reunion leaving behind a 6 year old and a 4 year old.

Denise's sister Lynne:





Diane with Ranji Grewall, another boyfriend of Denise's. Ranji and me knew each other very well. Denise and Ranji and me would often go for long walks. I know many of his stories, and the difficulties he has had in life. But, he is a very likeable person, fun and funny.




I'm going to include something I wrote on my birthday in 1996, a book called Letters For Denise that described many of our childhood experiences.


Lunch with Sandy and Phyllis


Dear Denise,


I am trying to remember when it was that I had lunch with Sandy and Phyllis. It must be about 15 years ago. I think it was in the late fall. Phyllis was home from California, and I was in town, too. Sandy lives in Port Coquitlam. We all three met and took the ferry to Fort Langley to have a very long lunch. We dined on crab and shrimp sandwiches and white wine. We talked about everything under the sun - husbands, hobbies, former clwassmates, children, parents and ourselves. There were certainly no long pauses in this conversation.


But there was a rather odd aspect to this meeting. You should have been there, Denise. Really, you are the link that ties us all together, and I do not think we can meet without thinking of you. You are like the missing 'fourth' of our bridge game. We can play without you, but we wish you were there.


It was late during this luncheon that Sandy began to cry. "I miss Denise," she said.


I am sure that I must have cried, too, since I cry at anything, even McDonald's commercials. I don't remember whether Phyllis cried or not, but I know she was as choked up as Sandy and I were.


Eventually it was time to leave. We all had to return to our real lives. We parted reluctantly, voing to meet again, very soon. We did not meet until this Saturday, May 22nd, 2010!


I thought it was important to let you know, Denise, that although you are not able to be here, you are still in our hearts. You will live on in our memories forever. Someday I envision another lunch with all four of us together. What a time we will have then!


Goodbye for now, my very good friend, until we meet again.


With love from Diane.



The Neighbourhood Gang - 5 of the 10 of us were actually at this reunion. Our neighbourhood was only about a block long but we all had a riot, building forts, playing softball, Kick-The-Can, badminton, and much more.





Lynne with her husband Leo. Lynne snow skis, hikes and paints!





Jillian Adams. (I see Alex sitting next to her.)





Diane, Lynne, and Joyce, standing in the exact same order as their houses!

And joined by Phyllis who lived not in the neighbourhood but Hatzic, a good bike ride away. She was worth the trip!





Louise Stone from across the street.






John Beckstrom, from across the street.




The Teachers who turned up.


Mr. Appleby, a science teacher.




Mr. Harris, a science and math teacher. Mr. Harris was a good friend of the fathers of me, Sandy and Phyllis. He is well into his 80's and seems very fit.





Chris Douglas, a P.E. teacher, and devoted many hours to the community teaching sports.




Mr. Enns. No one could believe how young he looks! He was a history teacher.






Charming and Cherished People:


Mary Lou Guest, now a teacher.




Russ Curnew, known for his good looks.



Bill Kieler and Jerry Ellerback, high school sweethearts from long ago, married but divorced 12 years ago, came to this event together!



Colleen Lynn
a good friend of both Denise and Phyllis (she was from Hatzic),






Lorraine Saliken, lived right across the street from the high school. Everyone knew her. A more gracious person you could never find.







Glen Lathrop, very tall, used to have black hair, used to be on the quiet side but was extremely popular at this reunion.




Beverly Lans, obviously a good humoured person.





Jean Thompson, another good humoured person.





Ann Heyman and Pam Hope. Ann looks just like she did. I thought I'd taken a picture of her twin brother Richard, but can't find it.




Louise Lacerte. Played trumpet in the band. Brave soul!





Dawn McEachern. Lived not too far away. Her sister Cynthia is a good friend of my sister Elaine, so I hear a little about Dawn. She was in the band too, played the flute I think.



Steve Bede, a very talented athlete. Can't remember if it was Sandy that dated him, or none of the above, lol. He was there with his wife.





Ron Ruffell, known for his sharpness and good looks and car racing.





This was a picture of me just before my 16th birthday when I got to go to UBC for band camp, a very special thing. I have never seen this picture. Must have been published by the newspaper when I was out of town, and perhaps my parents missed it. I'm in the top row to the right.



SIX MISSION STUDENTS and two from Hatzic are getting advanced musical training at the University of British Columbia July 7 to 20 for the 7th annual high school band and orchestra workshop. Under 12 specialists, 135 B.C. students are learning (can't read it).

during training sessions lasting 4 to 7 hours a day. Local students are, front row, left to right,

Bonnie Smith, Mary Lee, Rick Conway, Mission, Anne Craig, Hatzic. Second Row, Diane Stratton, Mission, Margaret Craig, Hatzic, and Diane Garry, Mission.



Final Shot: The person I was most surprised and pleased to see, Ranji Grewall.




7 comments:

Peggy said...

What fun to share your reunion and memories Diane. Looks like you must have had a very good turn-out or perhaps your friends coordinated. Funny that I have not thought of bringing a camera to any of our reunions--but I will to the next one, which is in October.

Laney Garry said...

Great to see the captions to the pictures and put the names to the faces. I love the addendum to your letter to Denise...very moving...and appropriate! Thanks again for the wonderful visit! Come again!! :)

Mary said...

Wonderful pictures of so many of your high school classmates, Diane. Everyone looks so happy to be together again. I am glad that you took photographs and also that you showed some of the old photos. I'm sure it was fun to share memories with so many, and to get caught up on their lives.

nva said...

Oh what fun and I can imagine the talk, the laughter, the reminiscing that went on and of course comparing notes to see how each one has weathered the passage of time. kinder to some than others.

I picked you out Diane without any bother even with all that hair!! I doubt if I could amass many of my contemporaries, they have either departed or got dementia and so on.

I was looking through some old photos recently and in a photo of 12 friends 7 have passed away and 2 have dementia. So thank God I am O.K.

Victoria said...

Diane, It is great to see you, in past and present, with the people of your highschool time. I'm not surprised that youo are one of those people who look like you looked then - a strength and clarity of character I think. And your love for Denise is so clear - now still.

Ann said...

I've always been afraid to attend a reunion. You might change my mind, Diane. Everyone looks like their having a grand time. Denise would be delighted.

Lynne said...

Wow, Diane! You did a bang-up job of chronicling your reunion. Loved looking at the photos and hearing backgrounds, etc. Especially poignant letter to Denise, your love shines through. You were a beauty back then and still now, Diane. Thanks for sharing these.
Lynne

I Am

I am the wind in the sails of a catamaran
moving sleekly, silently and swiftly
across a lake on an August afternoon.

I am the joy of a brilliant summer sun
the intensity of relentless whitecaps
and the excitement of impending peril
as I race wildly from shore to shore.

I am exhilaration.
I am adventure.
I am freedom itself.