Saturday, January 17, 2009

Two Days After Surgery

This is Mary reporting on Diane's progress.



I think she is doing better right now than at a comparable time with her first knee replacement surgery 14 months ago.



I went to see her this morning. At that time she was still using the pain pump. She has the motion machine for keeping her leg in motion. Last time she had knee surgery the orthopedic surgeon had not suggested this; but this time he prescribed it. Diane thinks it is helpful.



She is having physical therapy two times a day. Most of the nursing staff is very good. She only encountered one extremely nasty woman so far.


One problem she encountered is nausea. She had had an early morning breakfast of yogurt, cheerios, and apple juice. Near noon when I was there she talked about being nauseated, needing to throw up. The nurse brought in some white soda of some kind to try to silence her tummy. The doctor appeared and she discussed this, and she is able to have Pepcid now.


Anyway it seemed the soda worked. She ordered a lunch. (Most things to even hear the words made her sick.) Right after she ordered lunch she needed to throw up. As there was nothing in her stomach, it was bile she threw up. Quite a lot. Then, of course, her lunch came....not a very opportune moment.


She was very tired, needing to sleep.

She ended up only eating the white crackers for lunch. Sigh. She thinks they helped her stomach.

It is now late afternoon. Diane is no longer using the pain pump. This is a good sign. She does have a pain pill though. The motion machine continues.

She was talking about ordering dinner. I hope she does, as she needs to have something nutritious in her system.

She thinks that she is doing much better after this surgery than she did after her first knee surgery. From what I see, I concur.

I don't know when she will be coming home. My thought is....it will not be tomorrow.

Diane has appreciated each of your comments in her blog. I read them to her. She will also read them again when she returns home. Know that she will. Keep your comments coming. And your prayers!

6 comments:

Peggy said...

Good to see another update--thank you Mary. Recovery does not sound like a fun time, Diane. Nothing quite as unpleasant as nausea in my opinion and I guess it can be a result of the anesthesia. Great progress with the pain it sounds like. Another few days of rest in the hospital will at least keep you out of the cold, which sounds brutal. Love to you both.

Victoria said...

SO good to hear progress is better than after the last surgery - still hard with the nausea. I hope that improves. Prayers continue for both of you.

Anonymous said...

Diane, sorry for your nausea today, an awful thing, for sure. I hope all bouts of it are over. {{{{Diane}}}}. The motion machine for your knee sounds interesting. I will be interested in hearing more about it. Is it a new concept, or not recommended for your previous knee replacement?
I hope you get to go home soon, and that it won't be so cold when you do go home. It is wonderful that both you and Mary feel this surgerical outcome is better than the last surgery. Prayers answered again. Sending love and healing.

Ann said...

Keep on keeping on, Diane and Mary. Nausea does not sound like fun. May this be a bad memory soon. Doing a healing dance here for both of you.

Sue said...

I'm shocked no motion machine was used last time. When my father had his knee replaced in 2000 that was standard equipment and it even went home with the patient for night time sleeping. I was on mine until I went home. I am so so happy things are better this time.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mary for keeping us so informed on Diane's progress. Diane, I'm tickled that there is a positive comparison between this surgery and the last. sorry you've had to deal with nausea - that's the pits. Also glad most of your nursing staff is good and a pox, say I, upon the nasty one! My prayers are for you and as easy a recovery as possible, and to you, Mary, as you take loving care of Di.
Love, Lynne

I Am

I am the wind in the sails of a catamaran
moving sleekly, silently and swiftly
across a lake on an August afternoon.

I am the joy of a brilliant summer sun
the intensity of relentless whitecaps
and the excitement of impending peril
as I race wildly from shore to shore.

I am exhilaration.
I am adventure.
I am freedom itself.