having a great time so far. this area is so beautiful. we got here thursday afternoon. ulla picked us up, took us to her home, and fixed a wonderful meal for us. her friend doris, who doesnt speak much english, came after dinner and visited. ullas 21 year old daughter stefanie is here, too, getting ready to go on a trip to equador next week. i had met stefanie before, and ulla, when they visited us in 2000 both in wisconsin and california. stefani has really grown up a lot since then!
pardon me for my strange typing but the german keyboard is different... too difficult to find some things. the hardest thing is that the letter y is in a very odd place, lol.
on friday we went to salem castle, which is a 700 year old monastery that evolved into a winerz and a private school. prince phillip, the husband of queen elizabeth, went to school here. although it was rainy and quite cold, we enjoyed visiting the monastery and the beautiful scenery. ulla fixed us another lovely dinner, we watched the palin-biden debate, and tried to sleep when we went to bed. its hard to get on the right timetable. although we are very tired in the evening here, when we try to sleep its hard!
today we went to Ulm, a city of about 120,000. we drove first to sigmaringen, then got on a train and arrived in ulm about one and a half hours later. ulm is where einstien was born and lived, and there is a marker where his ´home used to be. it burned to the ground, but they saved the spot. the cathedral in this city has the tallest spire in the world, and it was built starting in 1377. since it was saturday, there was also a huge farmers market going on, and many visitors who had come to shop, enjoy restaurants, etc.
we returned to sigmaringen by train, went to a large grocery store and shopped a bit, and then went to a Chinese restáurant. it was very good and we had a great time!
i tried to upload some pix to this blog directlz from the card, but wasnt successful. i may try sending just a few pix by regular mail to some of you, but i am uncertain whether it will work or not.
enough for now!
auf wiedersehn!
3 comments:
I'm enjoying your trip log (as well as Mary's) and look forward to more. It's a good thing they don't have earthquakes in that area as I would hate to see what would happen to a church tower that tall built in the 1100s. (I recall a main part of the Cathedral in Utrecht blew down in a hurricane in the 1600s--all those huge chunks of stone). But maybe they have reinforced these old buildings in more modern times. Enjoy!
sunds like a great trip so far and I'm so pleased you are sharing it here. I am amused (though Of course I know enough to expect that it is common place) that you are eating and enjoying Chinese food in Germany - citizens of the world, aren't we all!
sunds like a great trip so far and I'm so pleased you are sharing it here. I am amused (though Of course I know enough to expect that it is common place) that you are eating and enjoying Chinese food in Germany - citizens of the world, aren't we all!
Post a Comment