Monday, October 6, 2008

Monday Pfullendorf Walk

A relaxing day today! We went for a walk through the main part of the city. All the streets are beautifully arranged cobblestones, and I would guess they are very old. Pfullendorf officially became a city in 1220 when Friedrich the Second registered the city. There are many homes here that go back to the 1500's. Pfullendorf is actually hilly, so one must be prepared to walk up and down! We saw the clock tower, the symbol of Pfullendorf, and the Rathaus, or city council. I think 'rat house' is a perfect name for a city council, lol. We also went into another beautiful church, and shopped a bit in a clothing store. After that, we drove around to do a few errands and pick up a few groceries, then came home for lunch. The weather goes from cloudy to clear to cloudy, very changeable, but no rain. It is a bit on the cool side but when the sun comes out, off comes my sweater. (Ulla and Mary are in jackets. Must be the Canadian in me, eh?

I have sent around just a few pictures. If I have left you off my list and you want to see them, just email me. It takes too long to upload them to blogger, unfortunately.

Auf Wiedersehn!

2 comments:

Peggy said...

I am enjoying your photos and your comments! What a wonderful trip you are having. I loved visiting those very old places in Europe. I wonder now if we perhaps visited P in 1970 when we briefly drove through Southern Germany. But I am pretty sure we did not go near Lake Constance. We did go to one old walled city but I cannot recall the name--though we did spend some time in a beer pub there. I suppose there are many of those older walled towns left though.

Ann said...

Diane, I enjoy hearing your delight at soaking in so much history. Can't you just feel some of thirteenth century folks walking along the same pathways! I'll have to get out my maps of Germany. I know we were in the Lake Constance area and have a vague memory of visiting Neu Ulm (not Ulm that I remember...). In Central Germany where we lived we were far from the sea and only had a few tiny rivers and streams. We were really hungry for a waterfront when we went to Lake Constance, especially me with my affinity to bodies of water, and we weren't disappointed. Thanks for the updates on your wanderings.

I Am

I am the wind in the sails of a catamaran
moving sleekly, silently and swiftly
across a lake on an August afternoon.

I am the joy of a brilliant summer sun
the intensity of relentless whitecaps
and the excitement of impending peril
as I race wildly from shore to shore.

I am exhilaration.
I am adventure.
I am freedom itself.