Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Grandkids Visit With Parents

Sunday July 18th to Monday July 26th.

July 18, Sunday:

Summer, Victoria, Madeline and Travis arrived at the airport at 5:30 pm and within half an hour we were home with Mary and the dogs. Tulip was a pain, as she hesitates to like strangers, but wee Violet was much less of a problem. Because it was the day after my birthday, we had my favorite thing to eat, pizza, and I picked up an ice cream cake as well, which we all enjoyed.



July 19, Monday:

We basically hung out at the house. Summer and the kids of course slept late as they are used to Pacific time. Later Isaac and Mya arrived with Mary. Everyone at leftover pizza, and then the swim began! Since Emily worked late that night, we took all the kids to Olive Garden, and they all liked it.

Travis and Mya. Note the dogs in the background in their cage.



Mya with Madeline and Victoria.




You can see the joy in Mya's face here. Actually, all the kiddos were having a riot.





July 20th, Tuesday:


On this day we chose to go visit the Milwaukee Art Museum. Summer loved the outstanding quilt exhibit. At noon, we walked outside to see the Calatrava 'wings' open and close. Later everyone swam and then we went for dinner at Stir Crazy, where kids eat free on Tuesday's and Thursday's. We all chose a Mongolian BBQ dinner, and everyone liked it.

Here is the Milwaukee Art Museum (MAM) with wings open.





You can see at this point that the wings are closing.



Now the wings are down.







Victoria with the wings totally down.



Wings on the way up again!




More swimming in the afternoon. Mya and Isaac kept asking where we were... anxious to see us!




About to play Ring Around The Rosie!





All the kids were having a blast. Racing, diving, playing tag.








July 21st, Wednesday

Today we chose to go to Discovery World, a scientific exhibit built for children. It is actually right next to the Milwaukee Art Museum, but no one, including the kids, had enough energy to do both. It was a fabulous exhibit! Discovery World at Pier Wisconsin is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on the shores of beautiful Lake Michigan.Discovery World is committed to educational, cultural, and environmental development.Our exhibits and programs are designed to inspire exploration and creation, and provide life-long learning for our visitors. The only thing missing was a three masted cargo schooner from the 19th century. In summer, it travels around Lake Michigan.


Later in the day, we went home to swim again, and eat a garlic shrimp dinner with brown rice that I made.


This is actually a fake picture... hard to get a picture of, lol. But I did it!




There is a three story boat, that goes underground and leads to a fish exhibit. Kids are permitted to pet the fish! I did too, LOL.



















Later we went to another section of Discovery World. I thought the entrance was beautiful!




Hi Maddie!



Victoria decided to take a simulated plane ride!




This is the screen she was looking at.





Madeline was near perfect!








But every kid ends up crashing. I think that is for a reason, lol.






Me taking a picture. Note I am not hot, lol.






Travis driving a car simulator.




This was his view.








Madeline chose to drive too.




And here we are, outside at the top of the building, with MAM in the background.






Then home to swim again! And play.







Last chance before Dad arrives!



Ha! Ha! Ha!




July 22nd, Thursday

Brad flew in on a red eye flight at 5:30 am. We got home about 6 am and I insisted he sleep for a while. I believe it was about 11 am when he staggered downstairs. One thing he REALLY wanted to do was go to the Kohler Design Studio since Summer had been talking about it for 8 years, lol. So we drove up, took about an hour and a half, and immediately went to Cucina, an Italian restaurant practically next to the Kohler Design Studio.




While we were in the Design Studio, I got a call from Mary alerting me to a tornado warning in the area. I didn't worry about it because there were no sirens,

Look at how similar Victoria's dress is to the model dress!




Brad was quite fascinated with the height and flexibility of this tap.






Madeline forgot to smile, but she is standing beside her favorite sink.





And here is the wall of toilets!





Tried to get a closer picture, but it turned out a little blurry.




Summer looking at the sinks.






Oh my the trip back from Kohler! Tornado warnings, 7 inches of rain in an hour, lightening crashing all around and Summer drove smartly. they ended up closing the freeway both directions and Summer was able to do a U-turn and was the second car to get off the ramp driving the wrong way! We heard about ourselves on the news LOL. But that was only the beginning to our adventure.

After making the news getting off the freeway we encountered disastrous flooding conditions. Saw at least 30 cars in waist deep water. Brad and Summer worked hard to get us out of area, 15 miles from my home. Summer listened to Brad did what he said. Zip through, don't slow down! Brad made sure the water wasn't too de...ep by observing other cars. We had to turn around several times but got home safe thanks to Brad and Summer.

July 23rd, Friday
I don't think we did much today, other than swim in the pool. Brad certainly has fun with his kids.
We went to Open Flame for dinner, a nearby restaurant, and most enjoyed the food. They have a big range.
July 24th, Saturday:
What's up? German Fest! We all enjoyed watching the parade, listening to the music, huge playground for kids to play in, and Brad especially enjoyed his beer.
Here we are in the morning, all three reading our cell phones in the livingroom while the kids played in the family room.


All my grandchildren are incredible builders!




Summer and I eventually watched the kids. Summer was working on her needlepoint.

Here's Madeline with her building project.


And Victoria with hers.


All three together.


Brad with his beer boot. (Free refills!0

Mary and Diane still reading their cell phones.


And me with Brad, Summer and family.



Had a great time at German Fest yesterday! The air temp was about 77 and the humidity about 83... so by the time I got home I was exhausted. Felt like jumping in the pool, but didn't have the energy to fight with bathing suit and wet skin. So, I went in anyway, to the shock of my son and his kids, LOL.






Are we dead????


In the evening we went out for a very unique pizza, Chicago style, and very much enjoyed it. Here's a nice picture of Victoria and me taken by Summer.



July 25th, Sunday
By now we were tired of taking pictures. Mary took the ones below which I very much appreciated. Victoria's speech therapist says she should be an architect! I can see why, Went to dinner at The Packing House, a long time institution.










Last day, Monday July 26th. No pictures today. Concentrated on eating leftovers, and hanging out. They arrived at the airport at about 5:50 pm with two hours to wait. They had a safe plane ride home, getting in around 10 pm. Oh, how I miss them all! Loved having them here! Love to all of you,


 

6 comments:

Ann said...

Fun to see the great pictures and hear of your adventures, Diane. Water and kids, kids and water. Can't beat the fun.

nva said...

Wow Diane,

What a busy, exciting time you have had with your family. far too many photos etc, to comment on, but quite obvious a good time was had by all.Looks as though the weather was perfect for most of the time and the children managed to get in a fair bit of swimming. That storm was scary to say the least. You will need a rest now!

Anonymous said...

Diane
Thanks for sharing all the wonderful pictures of your grandchildren (and Mary's)...great to see and I know you will miss them..! but what an enjoyable time you had
CA

Laney Garry said...

Wonderful pictures! So nice to see everyone enjoying themselves...and some different views of your home (that I haven't made it to yet!) I love the pool photo...so spontaneous and relaxing :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Di
catching up on all the blogs this morning. Great to see that you had the family over for a visit. Love that you jumped in the pool, clothes and all. Cheers
Bettina

Victoria said...

I'm slow getting to this amazing post about the visit - don't know how I missed it! I love seeing all the pictures and reading the flow of activities - so much love in your house and family. I liked seeing the kids' building projects, the museum with wings, and my favorite picture is you thrown into the pool with clothes on - so free.

I Am

I am the wind in the sails of a catamaran
moving sleekly, silently and swiftly
across a lake on an August afternoon.

I am the joy of a brilliant summer sun
the intensity of relentless whitecaps
and the excitement of impending peril
as I race wildly from shore to shore.

I am exhilaration.
I am adventure.
I am freedom itself.