Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Brown Deer Amateur Women's Tournament

This is a two day tournament that has been going on
for 11 years.  It is meant to be fun for women and also
to contribute to specific charities.  The two we chose
were an establishment for single foster girls who had
turned 18 and wanted to be trained and educated
and also another for young abused married women
with family.  11 years ago I played in this tournament
but organized ball spotters to assist the  players.

Eventually, after I moved to New Berlin, it was just too hard
to get to the course, spending an hour or so driving there, and
the same on the return visit.  The year I had to have a 
pacemaker installed I chose to go out and spot for balls
myself.  And then I realized there was more joy 
in watching golfers than playing.  At first, I sponsored
different holes, but I was willing to sponsor with more
money, so that started about 5 years ago.  Every year
I write a golf poem and they are placed inside the cart to view.

This was this years poem:

Three-Putts and Double-Chips

Three-putts and double-ships be gone!
Don't you know what you're doing
to my score?  Ruining it!
Here I am hitting long shots right down
the middle (boring some say).
My game looks good until I approach
the green.  What does it take?
Practice?  Patience?  Stop ruining me!
Three-putts and double-chips be gone!  

The Brown Deer statue.  Unfortunately this is a little blurry.


A view of the 18th hole from the patio


The gardens here are so pretty.  A PGA tournament used to be held here,
but the sponsor backed away due to economy.  I had the feeling
that our tournament was the highlight of the year for the workers.


This is my favorite of the garden pictures.


I tried to get a closer shot, but this one is a bit blurry too.


The golfers are starting to arrive.  I was the first one there on
the second day of the tournament so took an opportunity
to take a few pictures.


This is what you see on the first tee.


This is the 10th tee.  Isn't it beautiful?



This is a view of the chimney from outside.



The area where golf clubs are dropped off, and the scoreboard.



And this is the tournament organizer, my friend Barb, who takes
absolutely no credit for this tournament.  She should!  Doesn't
even sit at the head table, as I do.  By the way, this year
she won her flight, and everyone shouted and whistled with glee!

4 comments:

nva said...

Sounds like a fun day and what a beautiful golf course. That is neat that you write a poem each year too.

nva said...

Hi Diane, Nothing new here, so I will look in again when I get home on Sept 26th.!

Ann said...

Gee, I'd be a spotter on that beautiful course if I lived closer. You do many good works, Diane.

Victoria said...

Beautiful course and good exorcism of a poem! I admire your involvement with this tournament, and Barb's too.

I Am

I am the wind in the sails of a catamaran
moving sleekly, silently and swiftly
across a lake on an August afternoon.

I am the joy of a brilliant summer sun
the intensity of relentless whitecaps
and the excitement of impending peril
as I race wildly from shore to shore.

I am exhilaration.
I am adventure.
I am freedom itself.