Sunday, July 11, 2010

Saturday in San Antonio

Coming from Canada, I really had no clue of the history of the Alamo or the history of Texas. I had not realized it used to be a part of Mexico. The statue below is relatively new, and symbolic of Texas' need to be indepedent.



Below is the oldest building in Texas, built in 1724 approximately. It was originally a mission. It is the Alamo.



This picture was taken at the front of the Alamo. The grounds are huge. There are many buildings.



The Gonzales family. Interestingly, men from the nearby city named Gonzales helped fight the battle of the Alamo. There are many Gonzales' in Texas. 2000 Mexican soldiers battled 200 Texans at this battle. All 200, including Davy Crockett and General Travis, died. The president of Mexico said they would never fight again, but 2nd in command said if it happened again they would go to the devil.





Here I am in front of the jail!



After leaving the Alamo, we went to the River Walk to find a place for lunch. It was called the Lone Star Texas Restaurant. Delicious jalepeno cheddar burgers. Mary had some kind of chicken with guacamole and salsa and cheese.




The restaurant was so nice. They even gave us free sodas to take with us. This is a picture of Mary on the River Walk. Both sides of the river are active with restaurants and bars, and every block or so you can climb up and over steps.



Here is me and my soda.




We took a 35-minute river tour. These bells we saw along the way had some significance.



Nice view except for the men! LOL.




Erica and Vince viewing the scenery while on the boat tour.




Mary and me on the boat!

The Gonzales and grandma group. The arch behind is one of the sets of steps that goes from one side of the river to the other.



This is Vince, Vincente, and Noah posing in front of a candy store. I had Bell's ice cream. Bell's is a Texas brand.



We had a great day, and it was such a privilege to visit the Alamo and River Walk with people that are familiar with it.

4 comments:

Peggy Goetz said...

Another great description of the day you and Mary spent in San Antonio. It does look hot and I bet the Rriverwalk is very popular on those hot days. I wish I could remember more about Texas/US history. So many battles in human history--sometimes in reading history it seems fighting and rulers were all there were. I think seeing the actual places can help to remember the real people involved.

nva said...

Of course I know very little about what really happened at Alamo..We knew of Davey Crockett only because of his hat, both my sons had one! So reading all about it in Mary's and your blog has enlightened me considerably.

From the photos it looks as though a good time was had by all,love the riverwalk photos.

Summer said...

It looks like you are having a great time!

Victoria said...

Fun to read about your adventures in our part of the world.

I Am

I am the wind in the sails of a catamaran
moving sleekly, silently and swiftly
across a lake on an August afternoon.

I am the joy of a brilliant summer sun
the intensity of relentless whitecaps
and the excitement of impending peril
as I race wildly from shore to shore.

I am exhilaration.
I am adventure.
I am freedom itself.