Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Remembrance Day with Mum

















Hello! I've been out west for almost a week now, enjoying time with family. On Monday, my youngest son and his family took me along with them to Vancouver, where we visited the Vancouver Aquarium in Stanley Park. It is a very large, very well done exhibit! Later we met my oldest son in North Vancouver and had a nice meal in a Greek restaurant. The brothers were happy to visit with each other, and the children were delighted to see their uncle. All of us enjoyed the gathering.

Then it was on to the Fraser Valley where I overnighted with my sister Laney and her fiance Elliott. This morning, we all gathered to go and visit Mum in her nursing home. I was so excited to see her. She'd been struggling with a couple of bouts of pneumonia a few weeks ago which had left her pretty tired and drained, but today she was full of energy, happy, and talkative. She did not mention names, but it was clear that she knew she had family gathered around. She was very complementary to her great grandchildren and their parents.

While we were there the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month approached... and in the nursing home the Reveille was played for a full minute, followed by a minute of silence. Tears came to my eyes, not only because I was thinking of my father, but also because it had been a long time since I have been in Canada on Remembrance Day. It brought back a lot of memories of this day as I grew up. But, I wiped my tears and continued to enjoy a wonderful visit with Mum. We all left with smiles on our faces, knowing that she was so comfortable and content at the moment.

This wasn't the end of the day... I'll make another post later, in a day or two. I'm back on the US side of the border tonight, after an enjoyable trip with my son, his wife, and the grands!




6 comments:

Peggy said...

How fun to read about and see photos of your trip! I can hardly believe how big the children have grown and I loved the four-generation photo. Your Mum looks very well and one wouldn't know she recently struggled with pneumonia.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip. I look forward to your next update.

Victoria said...

I love seeing the pictures of your trip too, all of you clearly happy to be together. I don't know the traditions of Rememberance Day in Canada -but it sounds like a tradition I would like.

Judy Roney said...

How wonderful your Mum looks, Di. I love that she is all dressed up with beads. I want to be like her when I grow up! What a spiffy lady who bends the odds at regular intervals.
Your grandchildren have grown up SO much. I am so glad you are able to see them so often. Brad sure favors you!
I love this blogging thing. What a great way to keep in touch! :)

Anonymous said...

Your Mom is stunningly beautiful, Diane. I'm happy to hear that she was good that day, with Brad and the girls coming to see her. Your whole family is beautiful.

Ann said...

What a beautiful family, Diane! I know every hour you spend with them is special. May all of you have many more visits with your Mum while she is vital and happy.

Val said...

How nice to see family photos. Thanks for resending your blog address.Your mom always looks great, just as I remember her. I think the last time I saw your mom and dad was maybe 1992, on one of their visits to Sask.

I Am

I am the wind in the sails of a catamaran
moving sleekly, silently and swiftly
across a lake on an August afternoon.

I am the joy of a brilliant summer sun
the intensity of relentless whitecaps
and the excitement of impending peril
as I race wildly from shore to shore.

I am exhilaration.
I am adventure.
I am freedom itself.