Thursday, September 2, 2010

Saturday August 28th and Sunday August 29th

On Saturday, August 28th we took a trip with Kay and Vicki to Ten Chimneys at Genessee Depot in Wisconsin.  This was the home of Alfred Lunt and Lynne Fontanne, two fabulous theatre actors.  They took summer's off and enjoyed their home, which has several buildings on the property.  Unfortunately we were not permitted to take pictures inside the buildings.



The inside of the buildings were so outstanding.  So much art work and so many things to do. 
We had a marvelous tour guide, and she had 'a shadow' with hawk eyes.  We could not even sneak a picture!  The tour guide and shadow traded places after every excursion.  We were a group of 8.



The tour took about an hour and a half indoors, then we walked the grounds outside for another 30 minutes.


Here, we are on our way up to the original building very Swedish in design.  The Lunts had originally lived there, but decided they had to look after Alred's mother and sister.  Unfortunately the sister passed away
before they got there, but the mother loved her home.  It was quite a climb!


This was their swimming pool, built in the 1930's, for which they were criticised.  It is at least 15 feet deep.



Afred Lunt and Lynne with Diane Truswell... in their younger days!

On Sunday, August 29th it was Mary's birthday.  We relaxed in our pool until it was time to change for dinner.  I took Mary to the same place she took me on my birthday - Lake Park Bistro, a favorite place of ours though it has been years since we were there.  We just love the Soupe a  l'oignon!



We had an appetizer, a small one, then ate our onion soup.   Once again delicious!  You can't see Lake Michigan in this picturek but it is there!


Mary had halibut and I had a rib eye steak with delicious wild mushrooms.  You can see here that I also was served asparagus with Holllandaise sauce.  We both enjoyed our choices.



Here is Mary with her halibut!


You can barely see it, but afterward we walked around the building hoping to Lake Michigan!  It was there!

Bon Soir!

7 comments:

Peggy said...

So fun to share your weekend Diane. A beautiful property the Lunds had and nice that it is now open so people can enjoy the art work and all. And your dinner out looked lovely and you both look lovely as well!

Victoria said...

Lovely to see pictures of your day in such a historic and lovely place - and of course celebrating Mary's precious birthday too.

Judy Roney said...

What lovely scenery. I am surprised that the house of Lundt and Fontaine weren't more showy. I don't remember them actually (i'm probably too young! LOL) but they do look like some of the beautiful people next to beautiful you in the photo. :)
What a fun trip for you all
Happy Birthday Mary. Sounds like it was a wonderful day. I think you will love your Kindle.

Laney Garry said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend...glad you had such a good time! thanks for sharing the photos!

Willow said...

What a great tour day with friends and dinner for Mary's birthday. You both look wonderful. Good living, I guess. Loved seeing you hanging out with the Lundts.

nva said...

That was a lovely day and place to celebrate Mary's birthday and your food looked very yummy.

Laney Garry said...

...so sad to know that in less than a year from this post, you earned your angel wings...we miss you...fly high my sweet sister!

I Am

I am the wind in the sails of a catamaran
moving sleekly, silently and swiftly
across a lake on an August afternoon.

I am the joy of a brilliant summer sun
the intensity of relentless whitecaps
and the excitement of impending peril
as I race wildly from shore to shore.

I am exhilaration.
I am adventure.
I am freedom itself.