Friday, July 9, 2010

Thurs night and Friday

We arrived in Austin, Texas, at 4:30 in the afternoon Thursday, which is definitely rush hour. We arrived to quite a downpour. We were picked up at the airport by Vince and Erica and the two boys, Vincente and Noah.

One of the first things we did was have a Korean meal. Absolutely delicious. This is bulgogi.





Vincente and Noah are very funny young men. Noah (right) is like a frog, but Vincente (center) is much calmer.




Today, Friday, we went to see the First Cavalry Memorial inside Fort Hood. It is dedicated to soldiers of this division who lost their lives in Iraq since 2007.





This is me standing in front of the names of lost soldiers. Names are on both sides of this wall and go clear around the monument.




This is such a touching memorial. It shows soldiers helping Iraqi children and defending themselves.





The rest of the day we enjoyed visiting with each other and Papa Murphy's pizza. Very pleasant time. No rain today, although heavy black clouds were all around. The rain missed us.

4 comments:

Peggy Goetz said...

So sad to see all those names. I do enjoy reading about your trip. You and Mary are both good at describing things that highlighted your days. Hope to see more.

Belle said...

Wonderful photos and travel log. The Korean dish looked delicious. The Memorial is very sad...like the Viet Nam memorial in DC...it is good that they do memorials like these, for people to realize the impact of so much loss in war. Why? That's my question for most wars. Why.

You all look wonderful, happy, peaceful, and not too hot! Good actors perhaps?

Belle said...

Good actors as to HOT, not to wonderful, peaceful and happy.

Victoria said...

I remember that stormy day. We do have awful rush hour in Austin.

I Am

I am the wind in the sails of a catamaran
moving sleekly, silently and swiftly
across a lake on an August afternoon.

I am the joy of a brilliant summer sun
the intensity of relentless whitecaps
and the excitement of impending peril
as I race wildly from shore to shore.

I am exhilaration.
I am adventure.
I am freedom itself.