Saturday, March 28, 2009

Rainy In The West!


But, NOT on the day I went to Canada! I will write more about this later... meanwhile, I just have to say WOW, Cousin Val... you saw a resemblence in my painting (in my previous blog entry, right below this one) to someone in our family! Once you mentioned that, I thought immediately of Grandma Garry and her blue eyes with that 'seeing through everyone' quality, and her mouth that was always ready to smile. But the nose... I think that is YOURS, Val, lol. The picture I am sharing here is of Grandma and Grandpa Garry and me about age 6 and my brother Donald about age 3, taken on my only visit ever to Saskatchewan. It is amazing where your mind can take you, even if you don't know it's taking you anywhere.



Now, THIS experience takes me to another experience I have had in the past, concerning my other side of the family... I wrote a poem about it, and here it is...

Sepia-Toned People

In the fall of 2002
in the shadow of Sedona I close my eyes
and the sepia-toned people begin to appear
like an album one feature at a time
first an eyebrow then the rest fills in
or perhaps a heart-shaped mouth or
a distinct nose or a balding head
some unusual feature unfolding before
me like an odd slideshow from a former time
perhaps a hundred years ago, maybe more.

Sometimes they age from birth to senility
in front of me these people I do not know
who seem to want me to know who they are.
Many have something to say to me, usually
historical information but a few have personal
messages I wish I could remember but only
half of one dark-haired woman's words come to me
You will die she says yet I know she did not
mean tomorrow but I cannot recall the rest
of her sentence the part that was important.

In the fall of 2003
in a land called Nova Scotia I close my eyes
and see the same woman almost a year later
once again in an album only this time
it is a real album and the woman has a name
Martha Miller wife of Nicholas Hennigar
and I discover she is my great-grandmother
patiently waiting in the pages for all of my
55 years for me to discover her there.

In her face I see my eyes, my son's forehead
and cheekbones and something of a look
I recognize but cannot describe.
I see intelligence
I see pain
I see strength
I see compassion.
Great-grandmother Martha
I never knew you but I do
Great-grandmother Martha
thank you for coming to find me.

Now, back to my visit west. I've been busy! Arrived Tuesday, and was picked up by my son and my oldest granddaughter at the airport. We went to their home, and I got to see the rest, his wife, and my other two grandchildren. Always a delight to be with them!

The next day, Wednesday, I met with my daughter Hallie for a very nice lunch. She is on her way in a couple of days to Australia where she will participate in her 5th Ironman! Her husband Greg is going as well, of course, and after the event, they will be enjoying Sydney for a week.

On Thursday, the sun came out, and it was a wonderful day. I drove to my sister Laney & Elliott's home and got there on time, despite having to have my car gone through and inspected! I must look like a criminal, huh? Actually, there were MANY who were being pulled aside, I don't know why.

Laney's daughter invited us for a visit and a great lunch. It was so much fun to see little 1 year old Cali. She is so happy, strong, and has so much energy. Brings a big smile to my face!

Next, we went to visit my Mum for an hour, and as I have said before, Mum is doing incredibly well. Very alert and happy, and could not be more social. I am so happy to walk into her nursing home and find her this way. Elliott took some great pictures, ad I look forward to receving some. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my camera on this trip, but Elliott is saving the day! Literally!

Then we went to Stephanie and Aaron's home where I had a chance to visit with Stephanie, coming up 3 year old Lilah, and brand new just over a month old Declan! Lilah is so bright and pretty, and like her cousin Cali, lots of energy! Little Declan is a sweetheart, and growing fast! I also got to visit with Stephanie's mom, and say hello to her dad as well. Unfortunately, Aaron was at work, but I had a brief phone chat with him while we were on our way to dinner with my North Vancouver son Byron, Laney's daughter Holly, and Holly's boyfriend. I thought it was a wonderful dinner. Everyone chatted, and lots of interesting subjects. I think we were there at least 2-1/2 hours, and finally had to leave because all but me had to go to work in the morning!

Yesterday morning, I crossed the border back into WA, where I will be for the rest of my visit. On the way home, I finally had a chance to stop at a grocery store! I rested at home for a while, and then drove to my son's where I played Wii with him and my oldest granddaughter while Mama sewed and the other two slept... (fun, MarioKart, although I was crumby at it, lol.) Then we all went to our favorite Italian place, Olive Garden, and enjoyed a nice dinner. Then back to my townhome, where I was too tired to sign on... until this morning!

So, that's what is up with me. Time really flies when I am out here! Have a great day, all who have the time to read this ramble, lol.

7 comments:

Lynne said...

Diane, it's fun to read what you're up to on your trip. You're certainly taking advantage of every minute on your trip. Good luck to Hallie in her Ironman. So glad your Mum continues to do so well. Enjoy the rest of your visit with "kith and kin," especially those grands.

Ann said...

What a dear picture, Diane. Do you have any idea how old your grandmother was in this picture? She really looks like a gramma...is that age-ism...not like our very stylish grammas of the 21st century, though I'm sure to the wee ones we still look as old as the hills.

Mary said...

Whew, I am exhausted 'traveling' with you (in words)! So glad you shared your poem too!

Victoria said...

Thanks for sharing inner and outer journeys Diane, journeys in time, space - exploration and introspection. The family history poems/images are lovely and haunting.

Judy Roney said...

How amazing that your painting resembled people from your past (and present). I guess we all do that without knowing how or why. This is a wonderful post and I really like your poem as well.

Judy Roney said...

I meant to say that I think your grandmother has a wonderfully beautiful face. Even in black and white that shines through.

Val said...

Just catching up reading your blog. You have so much energy to travel like that!
Great choice of photo to compare to your painting. I see the resemblance in the cheeks and chin. Never thought of the blue eyes and smile but yes, its there!

I Am

I am the wind in the sails of a catamaran
moving sleekly, silently and swiftly
across a lake on an August afternoon.

I am the joy of a brilliant summer sun
the intensity of relentless whitecaps
and the excitement of impending peril
as I race wildly from shore to shore.

I am exhilaration.
I am adventure.
I am freedom itself.