Sunday, June 6, 2010

Fabulous June So Far

My goodness, we've had a great spring around here. Actually it often feels like summer. Lots of sunshine, lots of rain, the plants could not be happier. Even though we pay someone to mow and weed, the guy doesn't seem to know what the weeds are... so after heavy rains, Mary and I run out and weed ourselves. Hmmm. Gonna have to speak to that guy!

This is the front of the house. Note the two dogs in the window!




We are very pleased with how well our plants are doing. Below are annuals, of course, shade things, including a hanging fuchsia, begonias, and other things.




A view from the street:


And these are my yarrow that are starting to grow, on the early side. The moonshine are up, and the red yarrow are coming too. These are perenniels, can't wait for them to grow more.



A view from the front porch of the street and some of the homes.



Ah yes, the hanging fuchsia.

This is one of the sides of the house. The back yard is totally enclosed by a six foot tall fence because of the pool and privacy. Note the lovely Japanese lilac tree fully in bloom with white, fragrant lilacs.




And here is a planter that was originally in the front yard, but didn't work, so we put it up in the back yard. Has worked well for two years now.

This is me trying to be a hanging plant, lol.



We do have some potted plants in parts of the garden and on the deck of course. This is a shade geranium.


And here is that beautiful Japanese lilac tree!

Mary, buried in her favorite tree!


This is a wild rose that came from who knows where. Obviously it is doing well!




We are amazed, since it was not planted by us, nor was it here when we bought the house.



I forget the name of this bush. It is a perennial, and has beautiful blooms starting in early spring but once the blooms go, with the green and white leaves, it is still pretty.




And last but not least, here is a view of our rose bush next to the hot tub. Always blooms first. We thing that is because we shovel lots of snow on it, lol.


7 comments:

Victoria said...

What gorgeous pictures of your yard and flowers. I really love the flowering tree in which Mary is buried. I also especially like the bright mulch you have chosen. Our house outside colors are similar and we have been considering similar mulch. Yours makes me want it for sure.

Ann said...

What a beautiful setting you and Mary have created, Diane.

nva said...

Beautiful photos and your garden is a credit to you both. We have an Open Garden scheme where people open their gardens for a small charge and yours would be well worth visiting. What is the mulch you used?

Congratulations for a wonderful effort.

Mary said...

Ah yes, it HAS been a wonderful spring so far. I love it when it is warm and wonderful this early, not even summer yet!

Diane T said...

Nyra, the mulch chosen was cedar, a version that is "sienna red".

Victoria, that Japanese Lilac tree is indeed beautiful. Probably my favorite too!

Laney, you'll have to come visit! As if you don't have a lot of that to do, lol.

Thank you Ann. We are feeling very proud of our yard this year. Last year the weeds got way ahead of us, plus I couldn't do it because of back and knees. But now I'm doing it with no problemo!

Mary even says she can't believe the difference in my energy! That makes me feel good.

Lynne said...

Diane, your yard is lovely and welcoming. My favorite is that Japanese Lilac tree. Can almost smell the fragrance from here. You and Mary have done a fabulous job here.
Lynne

Judy Roney said...

Diane, I always love seeing your yard in spring and summer. Without a doubt it is always one of the best landscaped yard I have seen. How interesting to see so many plants that I am not used to seeing here in the south. Just gorgeous. I know you and Mary must enjoy working outside or it wouldn't (couldn't) look so good.

I Am

I am the wind in the sails of a catamaran
moving sleekly, silently and swiftly
across a lake on an August afternoon.

I am the joy of a brilliant summer sun
the intensity of relentless whitecaps
and the excitement of impending peril
as I race wildly from shore to shore.

I am exhilaration.
I am adventure.
I am freedom itself.