Monday, February 9, 2009

Coming up to the 4 week mark on Thurs

After Brunch

We walk to the parking lot.
Is it too far, she asks.
No, I answer
drawing in a breath
of fresh air as I enjoy
the sunny blue sky.
Walking today feels GOOD.
First time in maybe
twenty years. Ah,
what JOY.

I did my first official driving yesterday, and all went well. Surprisingly, it seems a little harder to get the left foot into the car than the right used to feel... but I think that is perhaps because I focused on the right foot for so long.

Still doing my exercises vigorously. Have cut the pain meds to less than half of what I was taking. Will start out patient physical therapy a week from today.

This was my busiest weekend so far. Went out for lunch with Lori, Mary's sister from Appleton, yesterday and were joined by Emily, Isaac and Mya. After lunch Mary, Lori and I returned to our house and had an enjoyable conversation for several hours along with fun time with the dogs! Yesterday, Sunday, when I did the driving, we made several stops to pick up various things, including an unexpected one where I ended up with a delightful pair of SAS shoes that feel better than any shoe I have worn in a LONG time. Doesn't seem to trigger any of my issues. Then we stopped for brunch at a Charcoal Grill. I'm pleased to say I made only one trip to the buffet and didn't pile everything I liked onto my plate. I left feeling satisfied and good about myself. My weight loss is continuing, and I am getting quite close to one of my important goals. Not the final goal, but one that means a lot to me. You can probably figure out what this means, if you think about it, LOL.

Wishing you all a great day and week! Thanks for checking on me.

8 comments:

Sue said...

Wonderful update and even more wonderful news.

Ann said...

Hurrah, hurrah, hurrah!

Judy Roney said...

What a joy to read of your day of driving and just enjoying your walk without the pain. I'm so glad to read this. You sound like you are well on your way to being completely healed. I know you have a ways to go but you have come so far and I'm so happy that you are already feeling such a wonderful benefit. I hope you keep enjoying and I'm looking for those SAS shoes now. ;)

Victoria said...

I love the poem, and just am so happy it is true for you - impressive recovery - happiness to you and yours!

Laney Garry said...

SAS?? what is that an acronym for?? Soft Adult Shoes? Sexy Alluring Shoes? Simply Adorable Soles? :)) (must be an 'American' thing?) ...all kidding aside...so happy to hear all your 'improvements'!

Peggy said...

So glad to hear how well you are doing and I do like the poem in present tense (and with the years! LOL). Congratulations on all of your accomplishments in you weight loss and progress with your knees. I must look for those shoes on line. You have sparked my curiosity! Onward!

Anonymous said...

Aw, Diane, your post just makes me grin from ear to ear on all kinds of levels. First and most important, I think, is how wonderful you sound. So positive, so energized, so full of life! You are one remarkable woman, and I applaud you as I wish you even more progress. Wow!
Lynne

Mary said...

Bravo to you for ALL of your hard work

I Am

I am the wind in the sails of a catamaran
moving sleekly, silently and swiftly
across a lake on an August afternoon.

I am the joy of a brilliant summer sun
the intensity of relentless whitecaps
and the excitement of impending peril
as I race wildly from shore to shore.

I am exhilaration.
I am adventure.
I am freedom itself.